How much does it cost to hire a dedicated remote developer?
Before starting the hiring process, it’s essential to consider your staffing needs and project scope of work, including the number of specialists, their proficiency level, and experience working with projects similar to yours. The cost of hiring a dedicated remote developer varies from country to country.
For example, Ukrainian developers charge $30-$90 per hour. Western Europe and US-based remote developers’ services cost $100-$200. Dedicated remote developers from India, Nepal, and Pakistan take $8-$10 per hour.
However, there are certain hesitations for meeting the required quality of services and cultural differences in the latter case. Thus, Ukrainian dedicated remote developers are the most reasonable choice in terms of quality and price. Ukraine has a large talent pool of technical specialists, a favorable business climate, a high level of English proficiency, and proven knowledge of using various technologies for creating digital products within the budget and quality requirements provided.
How do you manage the work of dedicated remote developers?
The successful experience of working with dedicated remote developers largely depends on well-established workflows, clear communication, and high team commitment. At Northell, we have a mature project management system to coordinate the process and maintain productivity. Thus, we adhere to the following practices:
- Stay flexible if the project plans change. We adopt an Agile approach that helps us improve productivity and keep pace with changing project priorities on the go.
- Split the scope of tasks into short, manageable sprints, and set priorities and KPIs for our remote employees.
- Hold daily and weekly meetings to evaluate the progress of the team.
- Hold relevant project documents in one place to directly access all information needed.
- Use Google Drive or Dropbox to understand our employee’s schedules and calendars.
- Use the right collaboration tools for the project, task management, communication, design, and development. For example,
- Communication tools (Slack, Skype, Google Hangouts)
- Project and task management tools (Trello, Jira, ClickUp)
- Design tools (Moqups, InVision)
- Developer tools (GitHub, Bitbucket)
- Encourage team-building activities to build a team spirit.
What challenges can I face when hiring dedicated remote developers?
To ensure the remote development team meets your expectations, you should consider all potential challenges to avoid risks beforehand. We want to share the most widespread risks you may encounter.
- Cultural gaps. It isn’t easy to expect the same attitude to work and values when working with offshore partners. Thus, if you lack a transparent communication plan with your potential remote team, you should set up a clear workflow, policies, and rules and build a friendly team environment.
- Time-zone differences. Your partner may be located in a different time zone. To ensure that time zone differences do not interfere with workflow, your potential remote team should have a clear communication plan in place so that everyone can find a convenient work time for both parties.
- Complicated taxation. The tax systems of other countries can often be confusing and different from yours. Thus, you should carefully check the legal documents and ask the team all related questions.
Poor data confidentiality. Make sure your potential dedicated remote team signs a non-disclosure agreement and complies with all data protection laws, as well as protecting the codebase from potential leakage.
When should I hire dedicated remote developers?
Based on our experience cooperating with customers, there are specific cases when they hire dedicated remote developers.
- Hire dedicated remote developers if you have an enormous scope of work and require a team for a long-term project.
- Hire dedicated remote developers from reputable software development outsourcing agencies like Northell to save the cost and time required to build a team of software specialists from scratch.
- Hire dedicated remote developers if you need to quickly launch the project and set up the development process right.
- Hire dedicated remote developers if you have undefined requirements and scope of work. Remote professionals are experts in the field to adapt to your changes on the go.
- Hire dedicated remote developers if you are a startup that needs to hire a team while saving money on recruiting and onboarding employees.